The Student Association has come such a long way since 2014. We have developed and grown into an Association which works hard to listen to your needs and support you whilst you are at College. We have introduced a Structure that works to meet your needs and ensures that you have a voice and are represented. We work in partnership with the College to integrate process and develop new ways of working to benefit you.
We evaluate your needs through our Class Ambassador system, evaluating College surveys and speaking to you on a regular basis. Our door is always open and we value your feedback.
Your Student Association is made up from one full time paid Sabbatical President and a Full time Sabbatical Vice President (Sabbatical means a student taking a break from studies), three volunteer elected members (which make up your Executive) ; Centre Ambassadors and Class Ambassadors, all supported by your Student Association Development Officer. These roles, with exception of the Development Officer, are all elected by you, our students on an annual basis to ensure you have the right people working on your behalf.
The President, Vice President and Centre Ambassadors work closely with Class Ambassadors, ensuring that all students at West Lothian College are appropriately represented. Their role is to support Class Ambassador elections, Class Ambassador training and lead the Class Ambassador meetings.
Our Team also sit on the College Board of Management and on a number of College Committees and up to Board level in order to ensure that there is Student representation and input in all aspects of the College decision making processes.
Our President oversees all this work and coordinates and manages Student Association process to ensure that your needs as Students are met.
The Student Association wants to ensure that you our Students have the best College experience possible. We support you during your time at College. We arrange a number of monthly events to provide you with knowledge, education and support on a range of relevant topics.
Student Association Mission Statement:
“Our Mission is to use a holistic approach; listening to our student’s needs, offering continued support and representing their views, in order to enrich their overall College experience and feel valued members of our community.” ‘Your Voice Only Louder’
To support and improve the way in which learners can impact their own learning and teaching; to ensure there is appropriate and sufficient representation for all of our learners; to ensure all learner views are listened to in an appropriate manner; to implement plans and processes to ensure changes are made where appropriate; to organise educational talks, workshops and events and provide an exceptional service which adds value to the Students and the College
- We will act with honesty and integrity
- We will only act in the best interests of the students
- We will provide on-going support for our students which may include sign posting to other suitable services.
- We will always promise to be helpful, answer all enquiries and respond to any query/comment within a timely manner (usually 5 working days)
- We promise to respect the views of others and value other’ opinions
- We promise to always act in a non-discriminatory way
- We promise that we will always represent the views and needs of our students through discussions and research of their views
- We will strive to become sustainable by creating process, procedures and training materials
- We will strive to become autonomous
- We will strive to work in partnership with West Lothian College to ensure the best outcome for all of our Students
Our Strategic Plan can be viewed in full here